Choosing an Attorney
Why choose Geraldine Welikson Hess?
Does the Attorney practice Family Law exclusively?
- The law changes and an attorney needs to keep current with the changes. It is hard to keep current when an attorney has multiple practice areas. Also, an attorney with multiple practice areas will spread their time over many different fields and thus have less experience working on family law matters.
- Ms. Hess has been practicing family law exclusively for over 17 years in the State of Maryland.
Is the Attorney a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers?
To qualify for the AAML, attorneys must submit a detailed application, sit for a written exam, be interviewed, and if successful, be invited to be a Fellow of the AAML.
Being a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers means:
- The attorney has substantial experience and is able to handle complex matters relating to custody and support of children, property division and alimony or spousal support.
- The attorney is recognized by the bench and bar as a leading practitioner in the area of matrimonial law.
- The attorney has demonstrated an active interest and competency in matrimonial law as evidenced by the fulfillment of criteria and standards as established by the AAML Board of Examiners and Board of Governors.
Is the attorney recognized by peers as among the top in the profession?
- The people who know most about the competence of lawyers are other lawyers who encounter them professionally.
- Ms. Hess has been included in Maryland Super Lawyers, DC Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers, Washingtonian, and Bethesda Magazine.
Have the attorneys held bar association offices? Holding offices is both an honor from an attorney’s peers, and a dedication of the attorney to serve the legal community.
- Ms. Hess has served as the Co-Chair of the Family Law Section of the Montgomery County Maryland Bar Association. Ms. Hess was awarded the Section Chair of the Year Award by the Bar Association for her service.
- Ms. Hess has served as the President of the Prince George’s County Maryland Women’s Bar Association.
Ms. Hess has served as a member of the Women’s Bar Association of Maryland Judicial Nomination Committee, where her function was to serve on a panel of attorneys who travelled around the State of Maryland interviewing candidates for judicial vacancies and providing opinions regarding the candidates suitability for the position.
Does the attorney offer a modern business model that is convenient for clients and enables the attorney to offer the client an attractive hourly rate for her experience and expertise?
- Ms. Hess has a comfortable and inviting receptionist, office and conference room at the ready for when you need to meet with her, either in Maryland and Virginia at select Intelligent Office and other office locations. Ms. Hess will work with you to identify a convenient meeting location for in person meetings if her current locations are not convenient.
- Ms. Hess and her assistant, Sarah, work together with a goal to ensure that your case is handled cost effectively and efficiently.